5.3.09

tuesdays with morrie


..."The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn't work, don't buy it."...

..."So many people walking around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they are chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."...

..."The truth is, part of me is every age. I'm a three-year-old, I'm a five-year-old, I'm a thirty-seven-year-old, I'm a fifty-year-old. I've been through all of them, and i know what it's like. I delight in being a child when it's appropriate to be a child, I delight in being a wise old man when it's appropriate to be a wise old man. Think of all i can be! I am every age, up to my own. How can I be envious of where you are - when I've been there myself?"...

..."Learn to detach...But detachment doesn't mean you don't let the experience penetrate you. On the contrary, you let it penetrate you fully. That's how you are able to leave it... Throwing yourself into these emotions, by allowing yourself to dive in, all the way, over your head even, you experience then fully and completely. You know what pain is. You know what love is. You know what grief is. And only then can you say, ' Alright. I have experienced the emotion. I recognize that emotion. Now I need to detach from that emotion for a moment.'"...

..."When you learn how to die, you learn how to live."...

..."Love is how you stay alive, even after you are gone."...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read "Tuesdays with Morris" too.
Totally agreed.
But in these days, fewer & fewer people realise this point. Everyone is so busy working & neglecting many things in their live (u_U)

sokkuan tye said...

ya it's a book which you will learn different things when you read at different times.